Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Braindead

I am so tired today. Had kind of a rough few days. I got hired on a contract basis for two days where my wife works, to help with some user interface development and integration that they needed done in order to make their release deadline. Of course, it was successful. But Friday was a long day, and so was Monday, and today I can't even think. I've been poking around on the computer, not really doing anything. And I am starving, yet I continue to just sit here like a slug.

I have days where I simply have nothing to say. Nothing on my mind. Vapid. Arid. Nuttin' goin' awn. Today is one of those days (one o'dem days?).

I have an idea for a video blog that I want to implement - probably on my Computer Circus page. A little animated Flash thing...or something. I'm not sure how to do it, yet. But it would take a lot of time, so it probably won't happen. But just in case it does happen, I'm not revealing any secrets.

Anyway, we bought a Playstation 2 over the weekend. Not sure why. My wife wanted to do something different to help relieve stress and anxiety at the end of the day - something other than watch television. I hate television for the most part, though I wind up watching it, anyway. In a way, television is an addictive video game...although it is very passive. As we say here, it is valet parking for the mind.

So now we have a game console and no real idea what to do with it. There is a woman where Chris works who is into video games and we talked to her briefly yesterday, and I am discovering just how immersive the gaming community is. I knew video games are big (i.e. HUGE) business, and now I think I got a little insight as to why. People who are into games seem to be *really* into games. Apparently, there is a whole genre of RPG type games that are very popular, but typically played online via a computer rather than on a game console.

So, the question is now, how do we find games we might like, where can we go to try them out before we buy something (damn, they're expensive!), and is this going to be a mistake in the long run? I have other things I want to do with my life.

I think.

So, anyway, just to start the third paragraph in a row with "so," we now have two games. One is this ATV driving game that I played for a couple of hours and grew quickly bored with. Not my bag of marbles. And the other is Final Fantasy X. We haven't even put it in the drive, yet. One game I know I enjoy is Simpson's Road Rage, so I might try to find that, or try out Simpson's Hit & Run. I like games that aren't really games, where you are free to explore the environment or to drive an industructable vehicle around - something with no time limits or that resets every time you screw up or get killed. I'm not sure what genre that would be in, though.

OK, it is really time to eat now. I have said enough. I think I'm going to plop down in front of the dreaded television. Maybe Groundhog Day is on again.

2 Comments:

  • At 12/10/05 5:42 AM, Blogger KC in Fla said…

    What we do- because of the expense of some games- is rent them first. Blockbuster, and Hollywood video have game-rentals. Then you can "test drive" them to see if they're worth the money.
    Since I have 3 kids, and a hubby that game- that's the only way to keep from going broke ;-)

     
  • At 12/10/05 7:25 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    My hubby is also a game freak. Personally i'd rather stare a good book than a screen, but hey, to each their own.

    Theres a lot of games out there that allow for the type of play you're describing. You'll probably want to go towards the "epic" ones...if you like sword games a couple of ones my hubby liked (and kept him amused for quite some time which is a feat in itself) is Onimusha and The Ledgend of Zelda.

    KC has the right idea though. Rent them first and get a feel for wether or not you'll like them. Theres also a slew of second hand game shops that sell them cheaper.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home