Friday, June 18, 2010

Hello Blue Skies

Well, I actually got to fly sooner than expected. I went to check out another flying club yesterday evening, and I got in three short, but well appreciated, flights. It has been too long, and I was quite rusty, but I'll have my thumbs back in no time.

I brought my cameras, but didn't get any pictures, except for just a few that I shot just before going home. Here's the field where I flew:

Sierra Foothills RC Flying Club

I didn't like taking off or landing on a grass runway. Yeah, it's a bit more forgiving if you have an incident, but I had a few incidents just because it was grass! It offers no ground control, and I can't do touch-and-go's (my favorite maneuver). I'm not sure I'll join the club or not, but I don't have a lot of options out here.

Here's a shot of my plane after a successful day of flying. A successful day of flying is always one in which I bring home my airplane in one piece.

Post-Flight Reflection

I need to get some fuel. I'm going to another flying club tomorrow to check them out, and I was hoping to get some fuel today, but I completely forgot, and now it's probably too late to get to the hobby shop in Marysville in time. Besides, I don't think my back would survive the trip today.

I really hurt my back a couple days ago, and I thought it was going to literally end me yesterday, but I wasn't about to let anything to stop me from flying after all I had done in the past week or two to prepare for it. It actually turned out to be good therapy for my back to go flying!

My first stop on my way out to the field was the chiropracter at 4:30 pm. He straightened me out, which helped a LOT, and I walked around the parking lot afterward, then headed out to the field. I drove for about 15 minutes and stopped at K-Mart to pick up some printer paper, so got to stretch my back there - that car seat is the worst. Then drove for another 15 minutes to the field and got the chance to walk a LOT out there, which was good. But then there was also considerable stooping and bending, but I kept it to a minimum. It was the drive back home that killed my back again, especially after waiting an additional 10 minutes in the car for road construction. Argh!

I spent a couple hours with an ice pack on my back after I got home, and today my back still hurts, but is feeling on the mend. I hope it won't give me any trouble tomorrow. I just can't sit for more than about 30 minutes at a time (if that!). But at least it feels like it's getting better. Now if I can just fix the mattress I'm sleeping on...

Tomorrow is another (flying) day!

Wish me fun. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 20/6/10 9:54 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Oh man, bad backs are so debilitating! I hope it gets better soon Bill.

    I see what you mean about flying from grass, especially if you enjoy T&G's. Maybe you'll find somewhere on your own that's on pavement?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home