Sunday, May 25, 2008

Phoenix Has Landed. World Gets Smaller.

The Phoenix Mars lander landed successfully today. I was glued to NASA TV online live during the whole event. There's nothing like watching the event unfold live. I remember [barely] watching the first moon landing on a big black and white TV. I watched the progress of the Spirit and Opportunity rovers. Then, to see the pictures come back. I don't know how to describe it. Here we are, on a world we often take for granted, staring at pictures taken from the ground on an entirely different world. An empty, barren world, yet one with many mysteries locked away inside.

Perhaps we'll find some.

Anyway, my mom is visiting from Tucson - the home town of the Phoenix mission to Mars (and also where I happened to grow up) - and she was talking about "six word stories." Apparently, Hemmingway wrote a six-word story: For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn.

So much can be read into so little. And I love the concept. So, I am going to try my hand at coming up with some six-word stories of my own. Feel free to contribute yours! :)

Here goes...


#1: Still awaiting delivery. Never placed order.

#2: Once in a lifetime. No film.

#3: Fight it. Beat it. Poster child.

#4: What does a rose smell like?

#5: Did my job. Missed my friends.

#6: Lost: broken heart. Last seen naked.

I think I'll stop at six, six-word stories. For now.

UPDATE: Or, maybe not. One more for the road.

#7: Last flight home. I just waved.

UPDATE: I can't help myself...

#8: I'm addicted to six word stories.

#9: Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, boom!

#10: Sold my house. Playing the lottery.

#11: See you in the obituaries. Bang!

#12: Got what I asked for. Shit.

#13: Learn to swim now - ship's sinking!

#14: She never called. My number changed.

#15: Realized dream. Personal note: wake up.

#16: Stepped off the path. So beautiful.

#17: Life is short. Smile. The end.

7 Comments:

  • At 26/5/08 7:19 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    It amazes me still after all these years that we CAN land anywhere other than earth! LOL

    Love the 6 word stories, and I can see where they'd be addictive!

    #1 Climbing the walls. Out of smokes.

    #2 I want to retire. Bank account empty.

    #3 Thanks very much. I'm addicted now.

     
  • At 27/5/08 7:14 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    I think it's pretty damn cool we can land on Mars! And take tourist shots too! ;)

    Love the six word stories, can only think of one right now...

    #1 Counting gray hairs. Have one child.

     
  • At 27/5/08 6:09 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Cheque's in the mail. Bua ha.

    Gas prices rising. Where's my horse?

     
  • At 28/5/08 1:52 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Fish sticks. Popsicle. Pizza. Left-overs.

     
  • At 28/5/08 1:54 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Never got married; missed the train.

     
  • At 28/5/08 2:24 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Frog. Duck. Dog. Guppy. Lakeside journey.

     
  • At 29/5/08 7:40 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Liver for dinner. Take-out anyone?

    Tried Popcorn Twists. Now I'm addicted.

    Psychic missing. Small Medium at large.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home