Friday, November 07, 2008

Some Things May Change

Well, the moral minority has finagled yet another win for anti-sociological evolution by voting to amend the state constitution to disallow same-sex marriage. I'm sure the fight will continue, however, because I question whether it is constitutional to amend (or in this case, revise) the constitution by putting the decision to do so on a ballot - especially considering the gap between the yays and nays was so narrow.

With something that close - something that far to the middle - it is a crying shame to color it in black and white. With a decision so narrowly divided, it seems that it *must* remain open to give society a little bit more time along its evolutionary process to realize, hey, there ain't no threat here!

How many decisions have been based in fear? Decisions we all now have to live with because some vocal minority screamed louder than the rest of the world (who was just minding their own damn business, thank you very much).

The same people who voted to ban same-sex marriage must also be working for the oil companies, since both alternative energy propositions failed, too. Ah, and I thought this was supposed to be a progressive state. But I found it interesting that they voted down the alternative energy propositions, but passed the high speed train proposition. Yeah - that one - the one that was ill-conceived and fraught with unrealistic lofty goals. We'll see what kind of a mess that turns out to be. Hey, don't get me wrong - a high speed train would be cool - I just wish they did a little more homework before putting the thing up for a vote.

At least we have chosen someone new to lead this country. I can't WAIT until the current guy is out - he's not even funny anymore (even if he wasn't president. Show's over, dude, get the fuck out!). Nobody is perfect, so neither is the new guy, but I think he's just what the people need. If nothing else, he is motivational and I think he will inspire people to bring some sanity back to this country. I hope, at least, that he serves to remind us that the United States of America is a melting pot - that Americans have varied cultural backgrounds and are not all one color, one race, one religion or one mindset. But in order to be a productive country and a strong country, we need to all stand united - hence, the UNITED States of America.

I still can't figure out prejudiced people who live in America. If you don't like that this country has residents - i.e. fellow Americans - that come from all over the world, then what the fuck are you doing here? Take the KKK for instance - I think they need an island all their own. A place full of nothing but narrow-minded, fearful, bigoted white people, and that's it. That way, they can mind their own business (though they'll have to find something new to hate) and the rest of us can mind ours.

Anyway, my biggest fear is that some bigoted, scared little bunny rabbit of a man might try to put a bullet into our new president if given the chance, just because the guy happens to have darker skin. Let's hope the ugly side of Americans isn't THAT ugly (or that moronically stupid). This is probably the biggest, most hopeful historical event that has come down the pike in a long time. Let's hope some screw-up doesn't come along and screw it up. I'd like to think this country has hope, and that the people of this country have room to hope, and that we can actually rise above the uglies of the world and regain the admiration and prosperity (at least some of it) that this country once held - to once again become a beacon of hope and opportunity. I'd like to feel like I live in such a country, and I am tired of feeling the way I have felt for the past eight years!

Never before have I felt such despair, embarrassment and worry; never before have I seen such division between the people of this country; and never before have I felt such hope. I'm looking forward to the next four years (and, I predict, the next eight years, actually). Whatever it brings, right or wrong, good or bad, at least I'll feel good knowing (or at least feeling) that it's not all bad.

OK, I'll come down now. I think 2009 is going to be an interesting year. And on the more localized front, I now have a new web host (FINALLY!) for my web sites and my images, etc., and so now - as you may have noticed - my blog looks a little better, and some of the links (like the Questor Project) actually work again.

Perhaps I will actually complete the Questor project in 2009! I hope so - as of November 26, 2008, it will have been two years since I touched it, last. We're also getting close to wrapping up a couple major projects on the house, and in January of 2010, I'll actually be able to post pictures of that project again. Also, look for a new entry or two (coming soon) in my Computer Circus blog.

Here's to the next few years. >ching<

2 Comments:

  • At 10/11/08 11:09 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Yay more pics to come! :-)

    I agree with you on the KKK and the whole prejudice thing Bill, I have never understood it and I guess I never will. It not only saddens me, it scares the crap out of me.

     
  • At 24/12/08 9:38 PM, Blogger Orion said…

    "But in order to be a productive country and a strong country, we need to all stand united - hence, the UNITED States of America."

    Yah, that sure happened the last 8 years...And yet the very folks who absolutely went berserk destroying any form of unity in this country are now the very same folks who are crying "Unity! Time to all get behind the new boss and put our differences behind us." 8 years of insane levels of Bush hatred to the point where it has a NAME "Bush Derangement Syndrome". Years of loathing the man who put an end to decades of murder, rape, torture, and tyranny and freed millions in the name of being 'liberal' and 'progressive' and then installing an utterly unqualified man based solely on the color of his skin to show how not-racist you are.

    Yah, right. The left staged an effective coup de etat after two prior failures; Good on ya. Don't expect us to like it or to call this by anything other than what it is.

    I was stunned to see Prop 8 pass. I think it's a mistake to ban gay marriage - Never really understood people's opposition to it.

    And as to opposition to alternative energy proposals, I'm not familiar with them, but after decades of wrangling with those, I've found that the vast majority of them were utterly unrealistic and unworkable, usually based on pie-in-the-sky dreams rather than real science. Were these any different?

    Orion

     

Post a Comment

<< Home