Sunday, June 10, 2007

What's Up?

All this time, I thought I knew what "up" meant. Then I started thinking about all the ways in which the word is used, and now I'm not sure what it means at all. Consider the following:

Show up.
Slow up.
Pay up.
Give up.
Shut up.
Wash up.
Look it up.
Call 'em up.
Eat up.
Throw up (well, that one kind of makes sense - similar to cough it up).
Fed up.
Close up (can take that two ways).
Cover up.
Spin it up.
Wind it up.
Turn it up.
Start it up.
Crank it up.
Fire it up.
Make up. Or make it up.
Screwed up.
F'd up.
Wake up. Time to get up and go in for your check-up.

I'm sure there is a ton more - can you think of any? And do we have a clue what we're saying?

What's Up?

4 Comments:

  • At 12/6/07 6:30 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    This is a stick up! So fess up, and tell me where the money is. If you don't, I'll blow up the joint!

    There. My "ups" are all used up. *grins*

     
  • At 12/6/07 3:56 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    That cracked me up. How did you come up with that? I've been trying to figure it out, but I just give up.

     
  • At 12/6/07 6:48 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    My brain can't think of any more. It just went t*ts up.

     
  • At 13/6/07 5:25 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Hehehehehe

    Good ones from both of you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home