Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mow, Mow, Mow Your Butt

My 'new' lawn mowerWell, we picked up a couple free lawn mowers a bit over a week ago, and the parts I ordered to fix one of them didn't arrive on time before I went back up to the land, so I thought I would see if I could find a place to get parts up there. I did. For $3.20. And I bought a quart of oil, which was actually more expensive than the parts.

I installed the parts - which included a diaphragm and a gasket for the carburetor - and the mower fired right up.

So I started mowing. And like Forrest Gump, when he started running, I just kept mowing. I mowed and mowed and mowed and mowed and mowed, taking short breaks only to keep from passing out. I drank about a gallon of water, and after I mowed about two acres with this tiny little 3.75 HP grass-eating machine (with the blade mounted backward), I said to my wife, "could we have been happy with 2-1/2 acres?"

She said no.

The mower lost some power a couple of times (I think I've wounded it), so I stopped a couple of times to let it cool off and to clean it up good. Unfortunately, the parts store didn't have any air filters in stock, but fortunately it is a foam type filter so was not difficult to clean up (to some degree, anyway) and re-use.
The 'lawn' as seen from where the house will beBut after mowing about an acre and a half, I noticed the cutting blade was mounted upside down and that the grass was being "cut" by the back side of the blade. And it wasn't doing a half bad job, either (although, the grass is DEAD). So, I removed the blade and re-installed it properly and it worked a little bit better after that. But it is still a bit sluggish. But I'm not complaining - the thing was free! But now I know why people have tractors.

The view in the picture, above, is from about where the house will sit (actually just it tad bit in front of the house) and you can see some of the lines where I mowed.

A view from down belowThis picture here is from a vantage point further down the hill on the property. That little green area up on the hill in among the trees is where the house is going to be. We have had the irrigation water running up there to soften up the ground to make it easy to grate (grade?) when the time comes. HOPEFULLY VERY SOON! We're getting the plans back to the county this Friday.

Keep your fingers crossed! We need those building permits!

13 Comments:

  • At 22/8/07 5:41 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Crossing fingers. I didn't know a lawn mower would cut with the blade upside down. Interesting.

    The land looks great, dead grass and all. Our yard looks the same with the lack of rain.

     
  • At 24/8/07 7:40 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    What incredible views! And what incredible stamina you have mowing that much by hand! LOL

    Bill you've simply got to get a ride 'em mower. And good luck on the plans, keeping my fingers crossed for you!

     
  • At 24/8/07 7:44 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    For whatever reason my stupid computer didn't show me your last three posts until this morning!

    Your property looks beautiful Bill, but I do believe a riding lawnmower (a really BIG one) should be in your future plans! ;)

     
  • At 25/8/07 2:27 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Tracey - sometimes, the browser will cache pages, and you may have to hit CTRL+F5 to load the updated page.

    Yes, a riding lawnmower would be a lot more productive...and fun!

     
  • At 26/8/07 2:05 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Hiya Bill, Melanie asked me to seek some advice from you. She can't get into your blog now for a couple of days, and she said it's only your blog and nobody elses. She's running on Mozilla. Any suggestions for her?

    Thanks!

     
  • At 30/8/07 9:38 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    I'm able to get on here at work by going through IE. Hmmm... I was able to use Mozilla before though. Let me know if you have any thoughts on it. Thanks. :)

     
  • At 30/8/07 3:29 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    By Mozilla, do you mean FireFox? That should be no problem. I design for FireFox and fix it for everything else (which basically means, IE). What version are you using?

     
  • At 30/8/07 3:44 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    I just tried accessing my blog on FireFox 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0, IE6, Netscape 7.2 and 8.1, Opera 9.23(?) and Safari 3 on the PC. No issues. Perhaps there is a problem with the embedded media player. Are you on a Windows operating system? I haven't tried accessing my blog from a Mac (lately) or a Linux or Unix machine.

     
  • At 2/9/07 7:16 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    I am accessing your blog under IE and not having any problems. My Firefox is version 2.0.0.6. I am using the same computer as well. I have no idea what is happening since I am computer challenged. I will just use IE to get to your blog.

    If it's a media player issue, how would I resolve that?

     
  • At 3/9/07 7:49 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Does your computer automatically check for updates? If not, I would get on Google (or Microsoft's web site) and search for Windows Media Player to see if there is a later version available. Although, I installed the latest version not too long ago and had some serious problems and had to restore, so I'm not going to ever update it again on this machine. Maybe just stick with IE, and I'll eventually re-work my end to remove the media player requirement (replace it with Flash or QuickTime or something). I've been wanting to do that, anyway.

     
  • At 23/9/07 3:48 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Hey Bill, just popping by to say "hi" and if there's any news or updates on the property. Hope you're doing well!

     
  • At 19/10/07 9:31 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Hey Dude, how goes it? I miss ya!

     
  • At 19/10/07 11:23 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Been killer busy. The more I have to say, the less time I have to say it. ;) I'll get an update in one of these decades.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home