Friday, December 16, 2005

Strange Thoughts

I'm having strange thoughts again. Not that that is unusual. But this, I thought, was particularly strange.

If you took a tissue sample from an umbilical cord, who's DNA would you find? Would it contain the DNA of the mother or of the baby? And just where does the mother end and the baby begin? Do fetuses ever die because their bodies reject the umbilical cord? If I take a tissue sample of my belly button, might I find some of my mother's DNA there?

Inquiring minds and all that...

8 Comments:

  • At 16/12/05 5:46 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Whoa, that IS an interesting question Bil! I bet the umbilical cord contains the mom's DNA. That's my guess.

     
  • At 16/12/05 7:50 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    I have no idea, but I'm with Jude on this one, google it lol

     
  • At 16/12/05 10:19 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    Gooooooogle is my friend. :)

     
  • At 16/12/05 12:05 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Oh boy! I'm going to torture residents with your questions, Bill! *evil grin* This could be fuuuuuunnnnnnn!

     
  • At 16/12/05 5:27 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Let us know what you find out!!

     
  • At 17/12/05 6:51 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    You know, I asked alot of questions about the umbilical cord and what happenes to hit, blahblahblah, but these questions never popped into my head......

     
  • At 17/12/05 2:01 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    It actually contains both maternal and fetal DNA. That's one way they can do a paternity test prior to birth if necessary.

    Bill, I haven't heard of any specific cases where the baby rejected the cord, but there are several cord abnormalities that can affect the fetus.

    As far was finding maternal DNA in your belly button, I would think that would be plausible.

     
  • At 17/12/05 5:01 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Cool Melly, thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home