Sunday, November 20, 2005

Goodbye New Friend, Again

Back in July, I bought a little Honda Civic.



It had some potential long-term issues with the engine (had carbon build-up and a minor oil leak) that I just didn't want to deal with, so I turned around and sold the car near the end of October. I actually really liked the car and would like to get another one some day, but today I got some distressing news about my "old" Civic.

I woke up today to a notice on the door and a message on my answering machine from the San Francisco Police Department, wanting to talk to me about my car. I had sold it to a guy who lives in San Francisco...at least he did. I called the police department and they told me that "my" car had been found totalled (smashed in the front all the way up to the passenger seat) and abandoned. The air bags had been deployed, and the stereo had been ripped out. There had been no report of an accident, so they wanted to know if the occupants of the car got out OK.

I had the name and address of the guy I sold the car to, but no phone number. I gave the info to the police and they said they would send someone over to check. That is the last I have heard. But they also asked me if I had sent in the release of liability to the DMV - which I have - and told me that if I hadn't, then I would be responsible for the towing fees and whatever other liability that was incured.

That is very distressing. So, now I have to call the DMV to see if they actually received my paperwork. I don't know how long it takes to get the information through the system, but I am hoping it still showed registered in my name only because the new owner hadn't got his paperwork through, yet, and not because they didn't receive mine. It is a lesson in sending in paperwork immediately after selling a car - which I did - and in always getting a delivery confirmation when sending important paperwork in - which I didn't.

Anyway, I have no idea what happened, though it sounds like someone stole the car and was having too much fun with it. I hope, for the sake of the new owner, that he was insured, and - if he was driving - that he and everyone else involved is OK.

I'm going to try to find out more on Monday, after my two telephone interviews in the morning. I'm one step closer to getting a new job! I hope I get one, soon, so I can start bringing some money in again and get back to at least one of my hobbies. It sucks being unemployed when all I am doing is looking for jobs! I also want to get my head shot and resume together and get some of my monologues online and start looking for some acting gigs, too.

Well, every end is a new beginning, I suppose. Here's our new car (we're down to two cars, now - finally!). It's a Mazda Protoge 5. Pretty nice, though I don't like the car alarm or the electric door locks that lock by themselves after you start the engine. Who's brain child idea was that? I need to get a manual for the car so I can see if there is a way to disable that feature.

4 Comments:

  • At 20/11/05 10:08 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Oooh love the Mazda, Bill! I sure hope you find out that the new owner of your old car is okay. Wow that sucks.....

    Acting gig? Online monologues? What is it that you do for a living Bill? Sounds so .....mysterious. Good luck with the job search, I hope you find exactly what you want, soon! :)

     
  • At 21/11/05 9:22 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    What do I do for a living? Well, recently it's all about sitting around scratching my ass and looking for work. I'm looking for a web development position. I'm not a designer, but I can do the functional pieces of the user interface and/or the back end. I also have an interview this week for a desktop support position - blah! But it would be part-time so I can still do other things. I have had a long-standing interest in acting, so I am pursuing that, too. Just haven't gotten around to getting a head shot and resume together, yet. And I want to record some of my monologues and put them online as reference for prospective agents or casting directors.

     
  • At 21/11/05 6:55 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Bill, that's just too cool! :) wouldn't that be great if you broke into the acting field!

    Good luck to you with the job situation, I hope you get something you like ASAP.

     
  • At 22/11/05 6:28 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Love the new car Bill! And I truly hope that whatever happened with the old one, no one was hurt.

    And if you make it big in the acting world make sure you remember us 'little people' along the way! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home