Sunday, January 01, 2006

How Many More Years?

Some funny Bushisms in the form of a game. Well, they might be funnier if he wasn't our PRESIDENT.

I understand this guy was in Tucson when I was home visiting in Tucson. In fact, we JUST missed the traffic nightmare that was created as he arrived for his departing flight at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport on the day we were leaving to fly home. Among the many thoughtful and enlightened remarks during his visit, he had this to say:

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law."

He's good at pointing things out, though not so good at making points.

Anyway, I was up channel surfing last night and caught a few minutes of George Carlin. Wow, he's getting old. He was talking about how parents never seem to want to take responsibility for their kids when they're bad, but will be the first to stand up to show their pride ("look at my kid!") when their kids are good. He was making some point about how parents are responsible for their kids' behavior.

I can't agree with this. I just can't. I think parents are responsible for imparting concepts of "right" and "wrong" and for talking to their kids about important issues, like drugs and sex and the realities of life, but beyond that, the kid is going to make his or her own decisions. I think there should be some kind of test or something that all parents should be required to complete with their kids, to basically cover their asses, to indicate (and have some way to prove) that they have discussed certain issues with their kids and that the kids acknowledge that they have completed the material (like home schooling?). That way, if a kid gets in trouble for doing something stupid - something where he or she made a choice to do, having KNOWN better - then the parent cannot be held responsible. A parent can only do so much.

I have a cat that misbehaves. Hardly a comparison to a child, but I have seen the same behavior in children. I have done all I can and all I know - and continue to do so - to get this DAMN CAT from climbing up on the counters. The cat OBVIOUSLY knows better, since she doesn't dare do it when we're looking. But the minute we're out of sight, she's at it again.

Kids can be like that. I know from experience.

Anyway, not sure where this all came from. I just don't think it is right to blame the parents, completely, for all a child does that is wrong. After all, we can't attribute everything that a kid does well to the parents. I mean, do we attribute a prodigy child's musical talents to his parents if they are deaf? Parents can only do so much, and the child will ultimately exhibit the character that it truly is in the end.

8 Comments:

  • At 1/1/06 4:37 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    I think the child's parents are responsible for a great deal, but there is that whole "free will" thing. Darnitall! LOL

     
  • At 1/1/06 6:54 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Amazing...I was talking about something similar today before I read your blog. I can only agree so far; when parents raise their kids, they are doing it with a certain amount of expectation, and a whole lot of guesswork. Being a good parent is one of the hardest jobs in the world - I'm sure no one would dispute that! But, for example, in my case, my parents had been married for eleven years before they adopted me. Their life was very happy in being married and raising a family; they couldn't conceive of anything that would make someone more content. They had a great marriage! But, because they were so content with what they had, their expectation was that I should be happy with that same thing. It's not that they didn't want me to strive for other things, just that they lacked the "push" factor to encourage me to find the life I should live, not the one that had made them happy. So, it took me a lot of years to figure out I should have not hurried to have *their* life, if that makes sense.

    So, while parents might not do anything wrong they need to also be able to be farsighted to the needs of each kid, and know and/or learn to encourage individually. It'd be far better for new parents to be taught to expect less, encourage more, and have an idea how to look at the big picture of child rearing!

    Begone, soapbox, begone! LOL

     
  • At 2/1/06 8:36 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Great post, Bill! I agree with you that parents can do only so much, and then the child is going to exhibit free will and personal choices. However for the most part, those personal choices will be greatly influenced by their upbringing too. For the most part, the example that parents set for their kids is what the kids will more than likely emulate. This does not however, mean that every kid will be exactly like their parents, as free will comes into play too.

    You can raise 'em to the very best of your abilities to know right from wrong etc., but after that you can't be responsible for their actions anymore than anyone else can. We're individuals with our own brains, brain chemicals and choices. We can only influence them as much as we can and then it's their show, so to speak.

     
  • At 2/1/06 3:11 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    So true Bill, so true. We can raise them to the best of our abilities and hope that they take it all in and be productive, upstanding citizens.

    On that same note; however, I disagree with people saying that they do bad things because "that's how they were raised." What a load of B.S.!! You have to be the better person and break the cycle.

    Getting off my soap box, LOL!

    Anywho, Bill I have a computer question for ya. I have 3 different spyware programs that I run, and SpyDoctor picks up this ad.oinadserver thing and I delete it but it keeps popping up and I keep having to delete it. How can I get rid of this thing for good? It's driving me crazy! Feel free to email me offline about it. rockermomof2@yahoo.com. Thanks!

     
  • At 2/1/06 10:38 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Okay Bill this is driving me nuts!! LOL I remember this song from waaaay back and it's great to have all these memories flooding back just listening to it again.....but I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT!! Isn't it the "something Walk"???

     
  • At 7/1/06 3:30 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    It's Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini of the Pink Panther fame.

     
  • At 7/1/06 5:27 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Yep - Melanie got it! But I guess you don't win anything for having the right answer. Sorry! However, as a consolation prize, I wish you good fortune for the new year.

     
  • At 8/1/06 7:23 AM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Thank you Bill. I'll take it. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home