Thursday, January 12, 2006

It's Official

Well, it's official. I got the job. I have the papers in my hand. I guess that means I'll be working again. It will be good having money coming in again so we can start saving money instead of just making ends meet. But, on the down side, I'll be working again. Blah!

By the way, Christmas was a bit pre-empted this year because of this job. My wife has been pushing hard to get me in at this place, and I worked late into the night for several nights - straight through Christmas - to put together a prototype to demonstrate some of my skills and ideas. And I think it did the trick. Everybody I interviewed with found something (different) of interest to them in my work. I hope that it is all worth it in the end, because I endured the most stress of my life (that I can remember) while undergoing this process. Even got an ear infection out of the deal, and a clicking in my TMJ (jaw joint). It was not pretty...or fun. In fact, I just stopped the ear drops yesterday.

So, we're still planning to take a weekend and celebrate the holidays in a belated fashion. I'm going to treat her to a massage (of her choice) and I am also going to buy her an iPod when I get paid - she really wants one. She got me a job for Christmas, I guess. But she also got me an electric park flyer radio-controlled model airplane. I just started putting that together tonight. It has been a long time since I have done anything with my airplanes, and I need to run down to the hobby shop tomorrow, because all my glue has dried up. I also need to order some servos...now that I can.

I also did some mundane things today, like some filing (the papers have been piling up), and created a folder for tax stuff, since forms are already starting to arrive in the mailbox. Also bought some 2-cent stamps, but I don't know where I put them. Hopefully, my mom will get her birthday card in time - I mailed it with a 37-cent stamp, not realizing the postage had changed. Oh, well, I'll call her in the morning.

I feel like a window is closing and my reign of free time is coming to an end. And that worries me, because I rarely felt I had any free time, even though I was out of work. There's always so much to do, and I can remember when we were both working, house stuff always fell behind. And I remember when I left my last job how I was amazed anything got done at all after being faced with trying to catch up with everything that had fallen behind. Two years I have been out of work and I'm still not on top of it all.

Psst! Hey, Bill! Get off the computer!

Well, you know, life isn't all about work. I have to balance it with some fun. It's all about balance. It will be interesting to see how this new balancing act will pan out.

It's getting late and I have to extract my wife from her chair and put her to bed. We looked at chairs, couches and love seats yesterday, hoping to find something we could sit closer together in and something she can fall asleep in without hurting her neck. But our height difference makes it difficult to find something that is comfortable to us both. But knowing her, she'll find just the right thing.

Oh yeah - happy Friday the 13th! Only two more days before the Stardust probe returns to Earth following its 2.88 billion mile round-trip to collect comet dust. Too cool!

7 Comments:

  • At 13/1/06 8:49 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Congratulations on the job Bill!! I know what you mean about things getting behind when you're both working, and the fear of it being more-so again with you going back. It'll take some adjusting again for you, good luck with that!

    That's a cute song,no disrespect intended. The Amish have always fascinated me. In a lot of ways the lifestyle appeals to me as far as "getting back to simpler, less stressful times". But no electricity? I don't think I could handle that, no computer!!!

    So I will wish you a belated Merry Christmas then Bill! You DID decide on a massage for her, good for you! :-)

     
  • At 13/1/06 8:53 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Ohhhhhh I get to be first!!!

    Congratulations, Bill!

    Don't worry, everything will fall into place! But, try to find a few minutes every so often to come back and visit us here, okay?

     
  • At 13/1/06 8:56 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Well, I *thought* I was first!!! Darn it, Jude, you beat me by 5 minutes!!! LOL

     
  • At 13/1/06 10:03 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Congratulations Bill! Thats awesome news!

    It is easy to fall behind, but you'll get it balanced out.

    Please do come back to visit whenever you get a chance! We'll miss you!

     
  • At 13/1/06 3:18 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said…

    Hi Bill! I'm glad you weren't able to sneak by the radar and your homepage popped up. :)
    Congratulations on getting the job. There's always a way to find time for fun. Sure, sometimes you have to cut things out of your life, like eating and showering, but you'll manage. ;)
    Seriously though, have you thought about audio posts? You could make them as you take the drive in to work.
    Have a great weekend!
    Lois Lane

     
  • At 13/1/06 5:06 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Podcasting! Yes, I have been considering that. My wife really wants to do that. Perhaps I'll give it a try, though I don't have much of a commute. I'd like to do streaming video, too, if I could. I just need to get the tools together. There's that time thing that keeps getting in the way. Looks like I need to sacrifice a few meals and showers. :)

     
  • At 16/1/06 4:30 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Congrats on the job Bill!! **pats you on the back** I knew you could do it. Those iPod things are pretty cool. I got one for my daughter for Christmas and I love to play around with it. Check out the apple store online before you buy. That's where I got hers and it was actually cheaper than buying in the store and they engraved it for free adn shipped it free.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home