Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Second Coming

I couldn't pass this up - it's just too funny. Well, I think so. I'm sure there are many who will be offended.

Religion has been on my mind today, because a good friend of mine - who also happens to be a Jehova Witness - sent an email today containing an attachment consisting of a monologue by Drew Carey. In it, he made reference to how many holidays we have in this country that have nothing to do with the Bible.

Huh? How many biblical holidays do we need? Do Christians have exclusive rights to what we celebrate? Hmm - this is a little reminiscent of why the founders of this country separated church from state!

Anyway, Drew mentioned how Christmas is really a Pagan holiday and that Halloween was a Satanic holiday. True, Christmas has Pagan origins, but so does Halloween. But I'm just curious - isn't Satan part of the Christian belief system? The origins of Christmas and Halloween pre-date Christianity, so how could Halloween be a Satanic holiday if the idea of Satan didn't even exist, yet?

I don't celebrate any religious holidays, because I'm not religious. I just celebrate holidays because they're holidays, not because of any religious undertones (or overtones). What's wrong with spending some quality time with friends and family and just being joyous and happy about being alive?

Every day should be a celebration, and I think life is more about having faith in ourselves and in others than it is about having faith in some unseen force or entity. After all, it is undeniable that we exist. And if you reach out to me when you need me, you'll actually feel my hand.

6 Comments:

  • At 26/11/06 8:27 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    I've always had a hard time with organized religion. It's always seemed dictatorial and/or hypocritical in nature.

    If a person believes in their heart and mind and tries to live a good life according to those beliefs..... what more is there?

    Spending time with family and loved ones seems, to me anyways, the best reason to celebrate :)

     
  • At 27/11/06 6:03 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Hear, hear Trace!! Organized religion is man-made. Faith is inside of us. That's where I live my life.

    Bill like you I enjoy holidays for different reasons other than the religious aspect of them.

    Off topic, but any news on that land you want?

     
  • At 28/11/06 12:05 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    The seller is eager to sell the property, so we think we might have a shot. But we're weighing a lot of considerations, since it is kind of out in the country. My wife is in Indiana right now and looked at a property that has a dwelling on it, and old farm house, and two newer workshop-like garages on 20 acres of land that has about 15 acres of farm land that can be leased out - typically pays for the property taxes. All for less than this 5-acre parcel in Northern California. Knowing this, it makes us go, "hmmmmmmm....."

     
  • At 28/11/06 3:53 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Indiana??? Long way from California!

     
  • At 1/12/06 6:54 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Wow! You could be moving a loooong ways away huh? Well whatever you decide upon, I wish you the best of luck Bill!

     
  • At 4/12/06 3:05 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Good luck with your land venture. Sounds promising.

    I agree about the whole organized religion and holidays. What is wrong with just spending some good quality time with the family?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home