Thursday, January 25, 2007

Plea for Identity

I have begun a process. A long process. A very long process. I have hundreds of old cassette tapes, some dating back to when I was probably 8 years old, where I have recorded a ton of weird crap. Everything from me reading horrible jokes from a book (that I amazingly still have), to making sound effects, to recording (audio only) stuff from television.

I was a weird kid. It explains a lot about my current weirdness.

Speaking of weird, I am now in the process of digitizing all these tapes into my computer. Like I said, it's a long process. If I do one tape a day, it will take me over a year to record them all. Then I want to go through and compile a "best of" collection. Who knows how long that will take.

Anyway, there is a song that I caught the tail end of, that you should be hearing now (unless you are using a browser that won't play it), and it has haunted me for years. I have NO IDEA what the song is, but I absolutely must know. It is just one of those burning mysteries of my life that I need to solve.

If you have ANY idea what the song is, PLEASE let me know! I remember I called a radio station once and played it for the DJ, but he didn't know what it was. I gave up easily. But here it is, once again in my life, and now I have a means of putting the word out for someone to identify it.

If you don't know what it is, send all your blog-hopping friends on over to step up to the challenge. I believe the song was recorded (on my tape) sometime in the '70s. I will be forever grateful to whomever can reveal this secret to me!

UPDATE: I may have a clue. Following this song snippit on my tape was a recording of me tuning around on the radio, and there was a car commercial for a 1979 Oldsmobile. So, this at least establishes a time frame of when this snippit was captured on my tape. Man, that's like 28 years ago!

9 Comments:

  • At 25/1/07 5:15 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Do you remember any snippets of lyrics at all Bill? Key words maybe?

     
  • At 25/1/07 8:20 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Can't say I remember hearing that before Bill, although it is beautiful!

     
  • At 25/1/07 8:40 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    I don't know if I ever heard the whole song. That clip is all I captured, and I don't even remember where I got it (off the radio, perhaps).

     
  • At 31/1/07 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it possibly from Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album? Did you listen to rock music back then?
    I'm going to email a DJ friend of mine and send him over to your blog to check it out. Maybe he'll know. It's a cool piece of music though.

    Debs (friend of the sweet Jude)

     
  • At 1/2/07 11:51 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    If you can find a way to feed the song thru this site, it might be able to help you pinpoint it.....

    http://www.midomi.com/

     
  • At 1/2/07 10:54 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Tracey - that site is cool! Unfortunately, it didn't find a match. I guess I need to find some kind of music trivia site or something and pose the challenge there.

     
  • At 2/2/07 7:35 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Well crud! I tried Bill :)

     
  • At 3/2/07 4:21 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    You did good - it inspired me to look for similar services, and I downloaded and installed some similar song recognition software, but still no luck. But seeing how many such services and software is out there gives me hope. But I'm hoping someone out there will know it.

     
  • At 10/2/07 2:39 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hey Bill. I tried to leave you a comment yesterday but the word verification wasn't working.

    My browser won't play the song and I was really up for a music challenge. Oh well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home