Tuesday, January 17, 2006

New Days (or New Daze)

My new job starts tomorrow. The reality hasn't hit me, yet. I don't know if I am ready.

The timing sucks, too. I just went to a theatre audition last night and they are considering me for the part of Dr. Montague in the Haunting of Hill House...but I don't think I can really devote the time and focus necessary to do the part justice while I am simultaneously filling my head with work stuff. They called me today to ask if I would be willing to cut my hair for the part (which indicates they are seriously considering me). It hurt to tell them I was withdrawing (and not because of the hair), since this would be my first real theatre performance opportunity. Man, it was hard to say no. I just know how obsessive I get about learning the lines and getting into character, etc., I just know it would be a major distraction from work...something I don't need in the first few months. I really went just for the audition experience - I didn't expect to be considered for a lead role!

Like I said, it hurt to say no. Can you hear me howling?

My wife, the eternal job hunter, sent me a job announcement. It started with the following:

"Do you enjoy working in fast-paced teams? Do you thrive on building disruptive platforms? Do you consistently push the envelope on what can be accomplished, achieve the mission impossible and enjoy the thrill that comes with it? Do you wish you had an opportunity to work at Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Siebel, Oracle or eBay during the early days? If you are an accomplished engineer with at least 10+ years of experience, consistently been a top performer in your prior jobs, have high IQ, energy and passion for innovation with 'take no prisoners' type attitude, look no further."

Gee, is that how they sell jobs these days? Is this even a selling point? If I were to re-write this lead-in, I would get right to the point:

"We want to work you to death. Interested?"

Perhaps some people enjoy that sort of thing. Not me. Well, we'll see how things go tomorrow.

7 Comments:

  • At 17/1/06 5:48 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    That sucks on the production thing Bill. But i'm sure you'll do wonderfully at your new job.

    You might want to quit howling though as it's setting of the neighborhood mutts!!!

     
  • At 17/1/06 7:12 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    It never rains but it pours huh?

    Best of luck as you start your new job. And, now that you know you've got what it takes to get a good role in a theatre production, just keep an eye on those audition dates and when you settle into the job, go for the next one!

     
  • At 17/1/06 8:09 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    I agree Bill, that sucks and I can understand how it must have been sheer torture to turn them down! But like Kate said, catch the wave next time and I'll bet you'll love it. You know, there's a reason for everything, and maybe this part just wasn't "the one"??? I'm just trying to help.....probably not doing it though huh? LOL

    Good luck tomorrow Bill, I'll be thinking about you!

     
  • At 18/1/06 6:28 AM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Today is THE day Bill!!! I'm sending you lots of support vibes!!! :)

     
  • At 18/1/06 8:51 AM, Blogger Jude said…

    Good luck today! Have a good day!

     
  • At 18/1/06 6:08 PM, Blogger Melanie said…

    Hope you had a good first day!

    That stinks about the theater production, but maybe next time.

     
  • At 20/1/06 5:09 PM, Blogger Jude said…

    Hey Bill hon we're goin' crazy waiting to hear about your job! ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home